Categorizing Events

I’m using RescueTime which does a good job at this yes. Kinda sucks for my privacy and all, but it gets the job done well.

This is a feature that I sorely need. I’ve been on the hunt for a time tracker for ages, but my usecase is to gather data about my activities to help me be more mindful about how I spend my time and help me combat problems with time blindness and executive dysfunction that I have with my ADHD.

It’s basically impossible for me to set up rules in advance as the whole point is to track my activity and identify habits as I see them. In theory I could do this by going into the settings and setting up rules after the fact but anything that isn’t completely frictionless is basically unusable for me.

A similar project, procrastitracker, does this fairly well but it’s missing other features, only runs on Windows and it’s is very unpleasant to look at. RescueTime is good also but looking at my activities in terms of productivity is something I’m actively trying to avoid for my own mental health.

This project would honestly be ideal if only it had this one feature!

The interface is so bad, though.

You go to the Category Builder and it shows only the last day. If you try to select a longer span of time it take a very long time to collect all the keywords.

Each time you add a keyword to a category, the entire page reloads, and you have to select the longer time period again, and then wait yet again for it to load all the keywords.

The selection is based only on single-word keywords instead of collections of words that would actually determine which site you’re on, with useless words like “the”, “and”, and “Firefox” as the highest-listed: