All events on Window Watcher are "unknown"

I have been having trouble with my Activity pane showing all activity as “unknown”, there’s only one category “Uncategorized” and both Top Window Titles and Top Applications only show “unknown”.

For this reason I went to the Raw data and try and understand the problem, and in the aw-watcher-window raw data pane all I saw was the following:

All the events are recorded as unknown, both the app and the title. Why could this be happening?

1 Like

Could you give us more details such as your OS, was it always like this or stopped recently what changes you have made recently
this will make it easier :slight_smile:

I’m having the same problem since installation. Endless fatal errors in the logs. I’m on Mac.

Would happy contribute some monthly money to this cause if I could get this to work as intended.

And because new users are only able to embed 1 image per post…

I think this is an mac specific error.

Seems like the same issue as mentioned here: https://github.com/ActivityWatch/aw-watcher-window/issues/60

Does not seem to be a permanent fix for it yet, only a temporary workaround.

2 Likes

It has always been like this. I’m currently on macOS 10.14.1 (Build 18B75). I still haven’t been able to fix it.

I just installed ActivityWatch and am trying to figure out how it works. Looking at Timeline, all events are marked as unknown App and unknown tile. Do I need to configure anytime after installation? Or it is a big for Mac? I am using a MacBook with macOS Monterey version 12.1.

I am on Mac (OS 12.2.1 Monterey) and using Google Chrome (Version 98.0.4758.102 (x86_64). The Chrome Extension is installed. Activity Summary and Window with me is “unknown” only, in the browser tab there is no data whatsoever, although in the timeline tab it does have data in “aw-watcher-web-chrome”. Did I misconfigure sth or is this a bug?

@mysticcity2 Unfortunately the browser stats won’t work unless the window stats and afk stats also work.

So as long as app titles are marked as “unknown”, the browser stats won’t work.

Can you tell me how I can make the window stats and afk stats work?

I have not verified, but the link I posted higher up could potentially fix it temporarily at least. I don’t have a Mac to test on currently unfortunately.

1 Like