Keylogging with ActivityWatch

Does ActivityWatch provide keylogging capabilities? I had trouble installing selfspy on macOS and I am looking for an alternative.

We have considered it but we do not have support for it no, and it is not a high priority for us currently.

We have a guideline to try and not aggregate the data and always save the records in a lossless manner and then doing the aggregation when visualizing the summaries. When considering key logging support we realized that it would be a serious security issue since it would likely be easy to find a pattern when you are writing your password.

So we have no plans of supporting it currently and we are not prioritizing it, but it would be possible to implement and if someone would like to extend activitywatch with a keylogger watcher we would gladly help them out.

Here I would recommend to make an exception (because of security) and don’t log keystrokes in the most granular form (every individual keypress). It could make sense to just store that a key was pressend and not which one. Also think about mouse clicks and movement.

It would be very great to have these stats too :slight_smile:

I am super motivated to make a keylogger watcher, is there a chat (Slack/Discord) where I could get support when needed?

Cheers!

It could make sense to just store that a key was pressend and not which one. Also think about mouse clicks and movement.

This was actually implemented in a super old version of the AFK watcher (some of the code might still even be there, but disabled/commented out).

It’s easily doable with the use of PyUserInput and aw-client, for those interested.

There exists a watcher for this now:

1 Like