Non-geek installation

Installation of ActivityWatch was a pain - and I don’t know why.
I have a basic computer with Windows 11 Home.

I tried to install AW for the individual user and for the computer as a whole. No luck. Removing AW was also done in an incomplete fashion by CCCleaner and the Windows tool.

Is there a guide for this - designed for the nongeek that is not willing/able to go into their computer’s inner workings?

You must know what was painful about the installation. I presume you used the recommended installer and then something happened. What happened? Did you try to install it to a location other than C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Programs\ActivityWatch because that’s the only configurable option after selecting the scope of the installation.

The guide for non geeks is to download the installer, https://github.com/ActivityWatch/activitywatch/releases/download/v0.12.2/activitywatch-v0.12.2-windows-x86_64-setup.exe run it and use the recommended options.

Also be a little cautious of CCCleaner. It can forcibly remove runtime from your system and doesn’t always leave the system in a reliable state. I have know CCCleaner and similar utilities to leave a registry items that suggest a framework or shared resource is currently installed when in fact it has been removed. This can cause problem for installers which rely on these elements being accurately reported.

Hi there.
I did installation first for my account, than for the whole computer.
Yes, I downloaded the installer.
Yes, I was not happy with CCCleaner and also removed it.