Please explain I have a serious issue

Hello not sure if this should be for support or the developer of the program? Anyway without going into to much detail (open to private discussion) I recently had a job/work related issue with ActivityWatch, employer used (not against monitoring) for monitoring purposes (1 week only) I was accused of something that I DID NOT DO. I requested from employer and provided a copy of said report. Time line/hours showing on report provided from said employer for my computer activity/worked hours are COMPLETELY INACCURATE. Keep in mind I work remotely and use 2 different computers. I really could use some help on this and willing to explain more details. Serious consequences were taken by said employer due to this report (more like inactivity) report from Activitywatch. Your help is much appreciated.

I don’t want to take anyone’s side on this matter, but ActivityWatch is a very bad tool for “proving” any type of activity for multiple reasons.

1. While we try to create a tracker that is as accurate as possible, it is not perfect and when doing some tasks it might look like the user is inactive when that is simply not the case.
  2. The application and it’s database is open source with a simple format. This means that data is also pretty easy to fake.

I don’t want to dive into your personal matter with your employer. But if you need some official documentation in ActivityWatch that more clearly defines what parts of the data that ActivityWatch produces that you can and cannot trust, then I could try to write something up. Then maybe you could refer to that text when stating your arguments to you employer.

Hello Johan-

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly and providing me with this information.

Yes if you could please provide me some official documentation in ActivityWatch that more clearly defines what parts of the data that ActivityWatch produces that you can and can’t trust. I am happy to email you a copy of the reports that I was given from said employer if
that would help you.

Unfortunately said employer trusted the hours of computer activity from this program and I am paying the price of it for now, I actually liked, enjoyed my job. Please let me know if you have any questions or need me to email you the report I was given.

Thank you again I really appreciate you helping & explaining this for me.

I have started working on a new section in the FAQ regarding this.

Please let me know if there’s anything else than these sentences which are unclear.