Safari watcher

I’ve moved over to Safari as it’s the only browser that doesn’t decimate battery when not on power and it would be great to have a Safari watcher?

Is there difficulty with getting the integration points that other browsers might support?

Safaris extensions do not use the standard WebExtensions API so we would have to develop a completely new watcher for that. It’s possible to do of course, but we (the ActivityWatch developers) will not spend time on doing this. If someone else wants to we’d be happy to help out though!

This just became a lot easier to implement: Apple announced yesterday that Safari will be supporting Web Extensions API.

Apple built a converter from Web Extension to a Safari extension, which can be run from the terminal, and turns the extension into an App you can distribute on the App Store

1 Like

I would also very much love to have this. As using chrome on a Mac is pretty much battery suicide.

More over, as Nicolae said, its far easier now:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/safari_web_extensions#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009977-CH1-SW1

@johan-bjareholt is there any news on the extension for Safari?

1 Like

Hello!

I also would like a watcher for safari

1 Like

Is there any update on this?

This would be immensely valuable, especially if it could also work on the iPhone. From the developer post linked above, I believe it would.

I have noticed more and more people switching back to Safari as their extension libraries expand and Apple’s native apps become even more dominant with M1 chips.

Would be great to see, especially since the converter looks pretty legit? Anyone know if this has been attempted yet?