Watching YouTube video (or any streaming media content) in the active browser window means not being afk

I wonder what approach could be taken to measure watching YouTube videos as not being afk. Is it possible for watchers to communicate with each other? Because if they are, then it’s something along the lines of: whenever an active window is streaming media content, then the afk watcher ‘concludes’ that the user is not afk.

What do you think: should a modified afk watcher be made for this?

The closest suggestion to this we’ve made is the ability to count tabs in the browser which are marked as “audible” (which means some media playing with sound) are counted as not-afk if that tab is currently focused.

The flaw with this is that it impacts the performance of the queries to aw-server, but that performance drop might we worth it. In my opinion it would be good to have it togglable.

Something like this can be very very useful in this time of frequent online meetings.
Would it at least be possible to use application-dependent afk time? So that one could at least set a larger afk time trigger for programs like Microsoft Teams, Skype and so on.

Thank you, this service looks very promising! Love it

1 Like

The “audible-as-afk” feature was merged and will be in the next release!

I made a comment in the related GitHub issue with some details, such as what it works for and what it doesn’t work for:

A larger afk time can be set, check this thread: There's no data when I'm watching a video on youtube - #11 by GoodCheeseCat

However I would even more appreciate if Teams would be recognized as “work” just as YouTube is … This would also keep up the tracking precision of the afk times (no need to adapt the time out).

Thank you very much. But isn’t the afk time a global parameter? I.e., is it possible to set different values for different applications?

Dear Developers, Thanks for this useful app.

I’ve been tinkering around with it, and have managed to create a reasonable map of my screen time. However, I still have a problem that video times are not being logged despite " audile as not afk" patch marked above as the solution.

I’m not using a browser for viewing the videos, but a MacOS application called “WebCatalog” that converts websites to apps. Hence my streaming services are reflecting a lower time than actuals.

Any idea how I can work around this ?

Aravindhan